RENOVATING THE STAIR OF THE BEACH HOUSE I.




























The staircase in my beach house is a Winder shape type and its floor was covered by a smooth ceramic and the handrail, worn by the time, no longer provided the necessary security. During the holidays in which I was in the house I always had in mind the danger that this stair represented and, above all, the need to reform it.


















Once upon a time, on a beautiful summer day, I was in my beach house and I had to go downstairs. At that moment I was wearing sandals on my feet (and without realizing they were dampened). Okay, it happened !!!! .... I went down three steps and as I took the next step I literally rolled down the stairs. The scare was huge, the pain was immense, but fortunately, nothing more, just the certainty that the time to reform the ladder had arrived.



















At that moment, my mason was working on the ceiling of the room, but I asked him to stop what he was doing and start working on the stairs. The fact is that at that time the only certainty I had was that the smooth and slippery floor of the stairs should be replaced. My mason promptly answered me: OK!!!, then let's renovate the stair !!!




























In a few minutes my mason removed all the pottery and handrail of the stair. After the removal I had some doubts:

1) What material should I buy to cover the floor of the stair?

2) Which model of handrail to choose? (Theme for the next post).
The choice of material to coat the stair depends on the decoration and the type of material with which it was made. Some stairs do not even need lining, such as concrete or stainless steel. Either way, the stair is always a significant element within the environments, and its finish deserves special attention (here).










































The stair in my beach house is all in concrete and so I chose to coat it with cement because it is more appropriate to the coastal and industrial style of the house decoration. It is worth emphasizing that cement flooring besides its practicality at the time of cleaning also provides safety for the movement of children and the elderly.





















After cementing and observing its drying time, I applied 3 coats (different dilutions) of AQUASAN: a crystallizing agent that fills the porosity of the concrete increasing its water and abrasion resistance. In the next step I will be choosing and installing the stair handrail. Work completed with effects of functionality and plasticity achieved.


Overcome the fear of reforming your stair.

Functionality and safety above all else.
Search and innovate.
The result will be rewarding.
Stay here !!! I'll be back soon.


Em português (in portuguese).

REFORMANDO A ESCADA DA CASA DE PRAIA  I.

A escada em minha casa de praia tem o formato em “U” com os degraus em leque sendo que seu piso era revestido por uma cerâmica lisa e o corrimão, desgastado pelo tempo, já não proporcionava a devida segurança. Durante as férias e feriados em que eu estava na casa sempre me vinha em mente o perigo que aquela escada representava e, sobretudo, a necessidade de reformá-la.

Era uma vez, em um belo dia de verão, eu estava em minha casa de praia e precisei descer a escada. Naquele momento eu estava usando sandálias nos pés (e sem perceber que estavam umedecidas). Pronto, aconteceu!!!! ....desci uns três degraus e ao dar o passo seguinte literalmente rolei escada abaixo. O susto foi enorme, a dor foi imensa, mas felizmente, nada além disso, apenas a certeza de que o momento de reformar a escada havia chegado.

Naquele momento, o meu pedreiro estava trabalhando no teto da sala mas solicitei a ele que interrompesse aquele trabalho e começasse a trabalhar na escada. O fato é que, naquela hora, a única certeza que eu tinha era a de que aquele piso liso e escorregadio da escada deveria ser trocado. Meu pedreiro prontamente me respondeu: Muito bem, então vamos reformar a escada!!!

Em poucos minutos meu pedreiro removeu toda a cerâmica e o corrimão da escada. Feita a remoção, vieram as dúvidas:
1) Com que material devo revestir o piso da escada?
2) Qual modelo de corrimão escolher? (Tema para a próxima postagem).
A escolha do material para revestir a escada depende da decoração e do tipo de material com que foi feita. Algumas escadas nem precisam de revestimento, como as de concreto ou aço inox. De qualquer forma, a escada é sempre um elemento significativo dentro dos ambientes, e seu acabamento merece atenção especial (aqui).

A escada em minha casa de praia é toda em concreto e assim, optei por revesti-la com cimento pois fica mais adequado ao estilo litoral e industrial da decoração da casa. Vale enfatizar ainda, que o piso em cimento além de sua praticidade na hora da limpeza também proporciona segurança para a movimentação de crianças e idosos.

Após a cimentação e observado seu tempo de secagem, apliquei 3 demãos (diferentes diluições) de AQUASAN: um agente cristalizante que colmata (preenche) a porosidade do concreto, aumentando sensivelmente sua impermeabilidade e resistência ao desgaste por abrasão. Na próxima etapa estarei escolhendo e instalando o corrimão da escada. Trabalho concluído com efeitos de funcionalidade e plasticidade atingidos.

Vença o medo de reformar sua escada.
Funcionalidade e segurança acima de tudo.
Pesquise e inove.
O resultado será gratificante.